- 11 forewards (Crosby, Staal, Malkin, Kunitz, Dupuis, Talbot, Rupp, Godard, Kennedy, Adams, Letestu)-30.95M
- 3 defensman (Letang, Orpik, Goligoski)-9.083M
- 2 goalies (Fleury, Johnson)-5.6M
- 12.187M left with the salary cap (5.8M)-just a guess saying its going up 1M
- Needs: 2 forewards, 3 defensman
- Matt Cooke-RESIGN 1.5M/year deal
- Sergei Gonchar-LETS WALK
- Alex Ponikarovski-LETS WALK
- Bill Guerin-LET WALK
- Ruslan Fedotenko-LET WALK
- Mark Easton-RESIGN 2M/year
- Jordan Leopold-RESIGN 1.7M/year
Needs: 2 foreward, 1 defensman
Next thing I do? Take a look at the farm system. Tangradi is our top prospect for a reason, and I think its his time to join the big club. Bring him up and put him on the top 6 and see what happens. Saves us money and will only cost 0.833M against the cap.
Then on defense, I try my hardest to bring Hamhuis here. He won't be cheap, but I think he can be had for 3.3M. We would still be slightly under the cap, giving us room for some more moves
The first is trade Godard. He isn't going to crack this line-up on a regular basis and will probably be a waste of a spot. Trading him leaves us with about 4.204M of cap space.
Needing 1 foreward now, we should look at a guy like Maxim Afinoginov. 0.8M last year and will probably get a raise, and I give him 2M per year. Then I lure Selanne here for one last season to make a run at the cup. He can still play and I say give him 2M as well.
Thats leaves us with 0.204M under the salary cap, but we would probably send Letestu down and save 0.5M against the cap and even though we would be tight against the cap, its a pretty solid line-up:
Thats a pretty solid line-up, got a solid top 6 and we have depth. I think this is a cup competing team and better than what we finished with this year.